Warming up for a run or bike ride usually involves starting to run or cycle slowly allowing your muscles, joints, and mind to ease into the impending workout. Everyone knows you should do more to warm up, but what should you do to get the most benefit out of your workout?
What is Neuromuscular Activation?
- Neuromuscular activation is exercise aimed at activation of the muscles used in running and cycling to enhance performance.
How Does Neuromuscular Activation Work?
- Neuromuscular activation stimulates more muscle fibers to contract creating more force production during your workout. Increased force production leads to faster, more efficient workouts.
HOW TO DO NEUROMUSCULAR ACTIVATION FOR RUNNING AND CYCLING
Neuromuscular activation exercises should be done 3 sets of 7 second hold with 2-3 seconds rest between each repetition.
- Single Leg Bridge 3 x 7 second hold each side
- Isometric Plank 3 x 7 second hold
- Superman 3 x 7 second hold
- Reverse Lunge 3 x 7 second hold each side
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO FOR A SAMPLE NEUROMUSCULAR ACTIVATION WARM UP